Saturday, 19 October 2013

Little Red Rooster

A few of my stitching friends have been making a rooster using whatever technique we like, embroidery, goldwork, or in my case, applique. It is based on a design from the April/May edition of the Embroiderers' Guild Stitch magazine. I fussy cut some scraps from my stash which I think has worked quite well. At the moment he is just fixed with bondaweb. I'm going to use him as an experiment in machine applique  with Big Daisy, my new Janome Horizon, so I can try out some of the embroidery stitches. I think he'll become a little mini quilt.


Meanwhile I have finished piecing my Hexagon quilt, Foxglove Fancy, made in a recent stack and whack class. Pictures to be posted soon. And I continue to work on piecing the Windmill Quilt....so many points to match!

Joining in today with the Slow Blogging Linky

Knotted Cotton

Friday, 11 October 2013

Mood Indigo Log Cabin



I'm a bit delayed in joining the Linky Party this week because I hosted a Sew-In at my house yesterday, which involved lots of stitching, chatting, and of course, a 'crafternoon' tea and cake.

In a  distinct change of mood from the colour scheme of the Medallion Star quilt  and the more modern fabrics of the Windmill quilt I am putting together a small lap quilt or possibly a walll hanging, made from a Kasuri layer cake by Moda.

The Kasuri collection, as the name suggests, is range of fabric inspired by Japanese textiles, and is very reminiscent of the fabrics used to create 'Boro' clothing which was put together from fragments and rags, and 'Bodoko' (meaning 'life-cloth'). You can see some pictures and learn more about these on the website of the Amuse Museum in Tokyo. 

I did a bit of web research about quilt patterns for layer cakes and eventually hit upon how to cut up a layer cake to create a log cabin block measuring 8.5 inches. This brilliant method comes from Trish at  www.notesofsincerity.blogspot

There is little room for error in this method, so I carefully cut the layer cakes into the required number of strips, and kept all the same size together




Each block is made up of one each of these strips, and  I kept the plain indigo as the centre of each one



Then sewed each block together,



Now I need to decide on the final layout and borders and backing.

Have a good sewing week!




Thursday, 3 October 2013

Never ending or beginning...

After cutting out and pressing 256 half square triangles for the Windmill Quilt pattern from Moda Bakeshop, my mind is certainly spinning round in circles!  And then I had to trim each one to exactly 4.5" square.

First each patterned layer cake was sewn across a marked diagonal to a Kona solid 'snow' layer cake right sides facing. i also marked the vertical and horizontal lines ready for accurate cutting




Which, when cut,  produced  half square triangles




Of which there were 256 !!




Which then had to trimmed to exactly 4.5 " which took ages,





I then matched pairs together and have begun to join them to make the main blocks


Which was when I realised that every little 4.5" block had a pint to match up!  So I took my time, which I like to do anyway....I'm all for slow stitching, by hand or machine.....and used this opportunity to practise pinning and matching points, and haven't done too badly so far. The method I use is to insert a very thin 'anchoring' pin at a 90 degree angle to the fabric and then come in low with another pin making sure the point of this comes out at the point you inserted the anchoring pin, ensuring you know where the point is when you sew the seam.




And a happy by-product of this project was some spare layer cake squares which I  used to make a nice fat, heavy  pin cushion filled with rice and tied with embroidery thread. 




And it's Brit Sewing Thursday too!